Comparison of local recurrence risk estimates after breast-conserving surgery for DCIS: DCIS Nomogram versus Refined Oncotype DX Breast DCIS Score Journal Article


Authors: Van Zee, K. J.; Zabor, E. C.; Di Donato, R.; Harmon, B.; Fox, J.; Morrow, M.; Cody, H. S. 3rd; Fineberg, S. A.
Article Title: Comparison of local recurrence risk estimates after breast-conserving surgery for DCIS: DCIS Nomogram versus Refined Oncotype DX Breast DCIS Score
Abstract: Background A ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) Nomogram integrating 10 clinicopathologic/treatment factors and a Refined DCIS Score (RDS) that incorporates a genomic assay and three clinicopathologic factors (Oncotype DX DCIS Score) are available to estimate DCIS 10-year local recurrence risk (LRR). This study compared these estimates. Methods Patients 50 years of age or older with DCIS size 2.5 cm or smaller and a genomic assay available were identified. An RDS within 1-2% of the range of Nomogram LRR estimates obtained by assuming use and non-use of endocrine therapy (Nomogram +/- ET) was defined as concordant. Assuming a 10-year risk threshold of 10% for recommending radiation, Nomogram +/- ET and RDS estimates were compared, and threshold concordance was determined. Results For 54 (92%) of 59 patients, the RDS and Nomogram +/- ET LRR estimates were concordant. For the remaining 5 (8%) of the 59 patients, the RDS LRR estimates were lower than the Nomogram + ET estimates, with an absolute difference of 3-8%, and thus were discordant. For these five patients, the RDS estimates of 10-year LRR were lower than 10% (range 5-8%) and the Nomogram + ET estimates were 10% or higher (range 11-14%). These five patients with both discordant and threshold-discordant estimates all had close margins (<= 2 mm). Conclusions Among 92% of women 50 years of age or older with DCIS size 2.5 cm or smaller, free-of-charge online Nomogram 10-year LRR estimates were concordant with those obtained using the commercially available RDS (> $4600). Among the 8% with discordant risk estimates, the RDS appeared to underestimate the LRR and may lead to inappropriate omission of radiotherapy. Unless other data show a clinically significant advantage of the RDS (Oncotype DX DCIS Score), the study data suggest that for women 50 years of age or older with DCIS size 2.5 cm or smaller, its use is not warranted.
Keywords: radiotherapy; tamoxifen; outcomes; validation; women; carcinoma in-situ; cancer; tumor recurrences
Journal Title: Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume: 26
Issue: 10
ISSN: 1068-9265
Publisher: Springer  
Date Published: 2019-10-01
Start Page: 3282
End Page: 3288
Language: English
ACCESSION: WOS:000484928300035
DOI: 10.1245/s10434-019-07537-y
PROVIDER: wos
PMCID: PMC6736743
PUBMED: 31342373
Notes: Source: Wos
Altmetric Score
MSK Authors
  1. Monica Morrow
    477 Morrow
  2. Kimberly J Van Zee
    249 Van Zee
  3. Hiram S Cody III
    216 Cody
  4. Emily Craig Zabor
    147 Zabor